The Advantages of Proton Therapy
- Unlike traditional radiotherapy treatment, proton radiation is directed to the tumor with pinpoint accuracy resulting in less damage to surrounding healthy organs and tissue.
- With proton, doctors have the ability to deliver a higher dose of radiation to the tumor – and the higher the radiation dose, the better the chance of destroying all the cancer.
- Treatment is non-invasive and painless.
- Treatment is provided in an outpatient setting – patients can schedule treatment early in the morning and have the rest of the day to work or play.
- There is usually no impact on a patient's energy level and no recovery time.
- Significantly lower chances of secondary cancers later in life.
- Overall, there are fewer, if any, side effects compared to other treatment options.